Sunday, July 25, 2010

Haley's 1st trip to the temple


Haley and Anna's 12th birthdays were so close that they both got to go to the temple for the first time together. Our youth go to the temple regularly to do temple baptisms, which is also referred to as baptisms for the dead. I know that sounds scary, but I can assure you is does not involve digging up graves.

What are baptisms for the dead you ask...
Jesus Christ taught that baptism is essential to the salvation of all who have lived on earth (see John 3:5). Many people, however, have died without being baptized. Others were baptized without proper authority. Because God is merciful, He has prepared a way for all people to receive the blessings of baptism. By performing proxy baptisms in behalf of those who have died, Church members offer these blessings to deceased ancestors. Individuals can then choose to accept or reject what has been done in their behalf.


I stole the above information from the church web site HERE, you can go to that link if you want more information about baptisms for the dead.


This was a great experience for me too, I had several family names from my Dad's side that had not been baptized and I got to watch Haley get baptized for people I remember.  I was really glad I was asked to go as a leader and help out because it was a wonderful experience. 

No comments:

 
Blog tracker