Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The attempted gun conversion

Eric's brothers all own guns and they refer to my husband as "Eric the gunless" because I do not want a gun in our house. 

A few months ago one of them mentioned that they would bring their guns to Utah and teach our girls how to shoot. My girls would not stop talking about how excited they were to shoot a real gun. 

They were so excited that they all woke up early (after a night of fireworks) to drive out to the shooting range and shoot in the rain!

Eric's Brothers Greg and Wayne brought several guns (22 rifles, hand guns and semi-automatic guns). They gave them direction about what to do and not do with a gun. I think the only rule my girls remembered was  "Keep your buggar finger of the banger".


Ruby was very serious and careful


... and loved every minute!


Haley had a scope so she was right on and blowing away all the targets.



Little Lucy was like Annie Oakley. She was shooting, reloading and shooting again like she had been doing it for years.

It kind of scared me how comfortable she was. After a short time she was done with sitting and started shooting standing up!


I even got to shoot a few, and it was fun!

 The bad thing was when we were driven home Haley said "Forget the bb gun, I want a 22 for my birthday".

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

It's amazing how well the girls took to it. Is there a gun safe in your future?

Lynnette said...

Chanel....I felt the same way about guns when David decided to get into it...Darian loves it, she'
s learned to respect and handle them correctly and we finally got a gun safe so whe got a 22 for her birthday....it's better than ignorance around them which is when people get hurt....your trip looks fun! We did the Utah thing too.

Chanel Palmer said...

Suzanne and Lynette- I am warming up to the idea of having a gun. Because of where we live (coyotes, cougars and an occasional bear) it would be smart to have something for predator protection, but no real guns yet.

Today was Haley's birthday and she got a bb gun (that she has wanted for a long time). So clearly I am loosing my mind and who knows what I will give into in the future.

Greg said...

Chanel, Janet thought we should get a handgun for protection. We went to a NRA Basic Pistol class. They supplied the instruction and firearms. Knowledge is important and a class is a good start. With information and understanding, you can then make a better choice on how to handle your situation at your house. It was a long time before any of our children know that we had been to a class and owned handguns. Yes, Janet has hers and I have mine.

Tasha said...

I've always been adamantly against having a hand gun in the house, but then 2 of my friends got them and told me about the VERY BIASED video the gun safety people showed where the girl is dead in 8 seconds, even though she has called 911 when an intruder comes into her home... We have a shotgun and a rifle, those are for hunting, we had them in med school, but I still chose to sleep with a Louisville Slugger when Dave had away nights, He knew to announce his entry loudly!

 
Blog tracker