Monday, May 12, 2008

The House quilt

 I finally completed my house quilt!

Over a year ago I was flying quickly through quilting blogs looking for ideas on a project I was working on.  After a couple of hours I had visited quilting blogs all across America, Australia, England and Norway.  I was just scrolling through looking at photos of quilts and dragging the photos that I liked to my desk top. After I was done wasting all that time, I looked over the photos I had selected and one by one deleted them for one reason or another until I came to this house quilt(photo below). I just LOVED it.  


The more I looked at it, the more I loved it. I decided that I needed to make one exactly like it. I emailed the photo to some friends just to see it and the next thing I knew all 6 of us decided to do it as an exchange.  I am really sick that I have no idea what blog this idea came from. I wish I could email her and tell her how much I love her wonderful original design and ask her forgiveness for completely copying her idea.  If I remember correctly she was American but living outside of the country. 



I think her wording was written with a pen, but I decided to embroider the words on my border. It says "A house divided against itself cannot stand A. Lincoln"

Of course my friend Jackie that did this exchange too, finished her quilt 1st.  She added her own super cool border and did amazing quilting that unfortunately you can't see in this photo. 

One of the other girls in the exchange Kira is living in Philadelphia and sent all of us this super cute label for the back of the liberty bell with all of our names. 

Although this quilt really doesn't go anywhere in our house, it has become one of my favorite quilts of all time.


FYI- The pattern we used for the foundation pieced houses we found here.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness I love this quilt! Amazing job on the houses and that label is the greatest thing I have seen. What a treasure! Great job.

KC said...

it turned out so cute. I am inspired now to finish mine. I want to have it done by July. I just got a new sewing machine, and I am so excited to bust it out and get sewing. :) Good job!

Suzanne said...

I love your house quilt. My houses are sewn together but I have to put the outer sashing on. I have an idea...I hope it doesn't take as long as the birthday quilt. :-)

everything pink! said...

darling

Michelle said...

Such a beautiful quilt! Seeing your and Suzanne's quilts today almost makes me want to learn to quilt! I can't even sew though!

Liz said...

That quilt is gorgeous! I love the Lincoln quote too!

I seem to remember Julie Shafer making a house quilt similar to this one for the old NOLA stake president? Or maybe I am crazy, I don't know. :)

Tasha said...

I love it! I've always wanted to one and embroider all the addresses we've had under the houses. Can you copy the pattern and send it to me? I'd think you were the greatest!

jenny said...

Are you taking birthday requests??? :)

 
Blog tracker