Sunday, May 04, 2008

Trials

I realize that there are some things that you just shouldn't blog about and that is probably the case with this post.  But this is my journal and I want to document what I have been going through and hopefully help someone that may go through something like this in the future.  So if you are uncomfortable with too much information... you have been warned.


This last week has been one of the most difficult weeks of my life.  Last Monday I went in for my 10 week ultrasound at the OB. No you didn't know I was pregnant because we had not told ANYONE.  As soon as the Dr. started the ultrasound she immediately said "I don't like what I see here".  Long story short she told me that after 10 weeks of being really sick I was going to have a miscarriage.  

Although I was really sad and trying desperately not to cry in the office, I had a feeling of comfort and I knew that this was the Lord's will.  That didn't mean I was happy about it, I just accepted it while I spent the rest of the day crying.
  
I have never had a miscarriage so I assumed that I would just have a lot of bleeding for a couple of days, possibly a D&C and it would be over.  I thought the worst part was the sadness over loosing the baby.  I had no idea what was about to happen. I will omit the gory details but by Wednesday she gave me a prescription to help my cervix dilate and told me that I should not be left alone for the next two days. FYI-I have had 3 C sections because my cervix just will not dilate.   Eric took 2 days off and stayed home with me. I have never been in so much pain in my life. It just kept getting stronger and stronger until I could not breath. I went into what I can only assume was labor and there was nothing I could do about it. If I was in the hospital having a baby I could have asked for an epideral, but laying in my bed the only option I had was Tylenol with codeine. It did not help at all.  Eric stayed with me as I laid in bed sweating and trying to breath.  I realize that there are lots of people that deliver full term babies naturally and so I sound like a big wimp, I guess I am.

The doctor called on Friday morning to have me come in for another ultrasound to make sure I had passed all the "products" as she called it and I had.  Again I thought I was through the worst. Then Saturday the hormones started. I feel constantly like I need to cry, I am angry at everyone for no reason and I really just want to be left alone.  After each of my kids I had this type of baby blues, but never expected it with a miscarriage. 

I know that we have trials to help us learn and grow and this has been a whopper of a trial for me. I have learned and am still learning a lot from this. I feel so sympathetic now for people that have had fertility problems and multiple miscarriages.  I was so overwhelmed by the service we received from our Ward and wonderful friends that were willing to watch our kids and bring over dinners ect. 

I think I am a relatively strong person with a high pain tolerance and this completely pushed me to my limit emotionally and physically. I know that I am still not over it but I am able to talk and blog about it, so I know I am getting there.  

Thankfully we never told our kids... Ruby still prays for her guinea pig that died two years ago.  

18 comments:

Jill said...

Oh Chanel, I'm so sorry about this. I don't know why things like this happen, but I know there's a reason.

I had a miscarriage a couple years ago at 12 weeks along. It wasn't nearly as painful as what you're going through, but was still something I would have preferred not to have experienced. Fortunately I felt at peace right away, but I still think about it.

I hope you are able to rest and recover easily. There's really nothing in life that can prepare us for something like this is there? It's a strange combination of feeling very alone and yet supported at the same time isn't it? Take care sweetie.

KC said...

Chanel, that is something I would not wish on anyone. I also had a miscarriage at 12 weeks and thought I would never get over it. I still keep my ultrasound pics in my underwear drawer and look at them every now and then.

I can't believe you went through the delivery at home. When my doc did our 12 week ultrasound and saw that there was no heartbeat I had a D and C the next morning so I wouldn't have to go through that. My heart is broken for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you!

Tasha said...

Chanel,
I am deeply sorry. That sounds awful, and frankly, cruel, to have to endure at home. I feel like I've had to toughen up physically, but I am sure I would have not been able to do that.

My heart breaks for you. Its an agony that no one should have to know. I wish there was something I could do. Words seem kind of pale, but I do love you and you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Michelle said...

Chanel, I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope that you will be able to find peace soon. You and your family will be in my prayers.

LCFrohm said...

My heart goes out to you Chanel.
You are my super woman!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Chanel,
I am so sorry. Having been through all of this, I truly can feel the heartache. I'm so glad Eric could stay home with you. I'm thinking of you as you press forward--- hang in there!!!!!

Amy W. said...

I am so very, very sorry. How awful these past few days have been for you. So glad to hear you have a wonderful ward to help you through this. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Love you, Chanel. I'm thinking of you - oh, I wish I could be there. It was so good to talk to you on the phone, but still, what I really want is to run over, give you a big hug and bring you some ice cream!

I think you are wise that you had not yet told your girls. Owen still asks me when our baby is coming. It makes me sad. Next time, I will definitely wait.

Sending you lots of love ~

everything pink! said...

chanel.... i need a box of peeps to send you right now.
i am so sorry and don't know what to say - you are an incredible woman and your strength is recognize the beauty of your trials and opening up so we can all help you.
we are all here for you!!
love you!

rebecca said...

Oh Chanel - I am so, so sorry! I cannot believe what you have gone through this week. Know that you are loved and that we are thinking of you!

Natasha said...

Oh Chanel, I don't really know you (unless you count the time we met at the Walgreens photo counter on Metairie Road like 7 years ago)but my heart goes out to you! I will remember to say a prayer for you today!

Heidi said...

Hi Chanel, I check in every once in a while to see you and your amazing QUILTS and beautiful girls. I am so sad to hear of your heartache. I too mc at 11 weeks and the hormones after were awful. I am so sorry. I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

Liz said...

Oh Chanel, I'm so very sorry. What an absolutely awful thing to have to go through. I will be thinking of you!

Amanda said...

Chanel,

I'm so sorry for you and Eric to have to go through this at home. Having been through this (in between Ian and Everett) I can tell you that it will get better. Allow yourself to grieve...and then allow yourself to feel happiness again. Thanking of you!

Annemarie said...

Ditto on what everyone else had said to you. We love you guys and are thinking of you.

everything pink! said...

happy mother's day today.

Natalie said...

I take a few peaks every so often at your blog and I am so glad I peaked today. Chanel, I send my love to you. I know how you feel and can remember the pain (physical and emotional). I am sorry that you have to go through this. It isn't something you'd wish for anyone. You are amazing and have more strength than you realize. I wish you the best these next upcoming weeks, and will be thinking of you.

Ali said...

Chanel,

I am not sure if you are still reading the posts to this blog.....either way, I wanted to write. I had NO idea you had been going through all of this when we talked on the phone last week. I think you are so incredibly brave and strong. Like so many who have posted before me, I am truly sorry for your loss. I am so grateful you have a wonderful husband who will support and strengthen you through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

 
Blog tracker