Saturday, October 18, 2008

Why I support proposition 8

I have never really gotten involved in politics. I do my research, and I decide who and what I will vote for and that's that. I have never felt that I needed to get out there and campaign for any particular cause. That has changed.

I have done my research. Eric found it hilarious that I spent several hours reading gay and lesbian web sites to see their perspective on prop 8.  It made me even more passionate about this issue. 

Over the past several months I have volunteered through protectmarriage.com and knocked on about 100 doors, not to debate with people, but to give them information about Proposition 8.  I have called several hundred people on the phone. We have donated money, have a Yes on 8 sign in our front yard and my car is currently sporting a "Yes on Prop 8" bumper sticker. I am totally anti bumper stickers- so you can tell my level of commitment.

I decided to tell the people who read my blog how I feel and why... all 3 of them.

1. I truly believe that Marriage is ordained by God and only between a man and a woman.

2. In 2000 61% of  California voters passed Propositon 22 that stated "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California" then 4 judges overturned the will of 61% of the state and decided that gay marriage should be legal. I find this wrong on so many levels and quite frankly frighting. 

3. With a Civil Union, gay couples currently have ALL the legal and tax benifits that married couples have. I do not want to take away any of those rights.  I do feel that I need to protect my rights as a parent. As a religious person I want to protect the rights of churches. I want to protect the rights of children to be raised by a mother and a father.     

I fully agree with Steve Pogue from San Jose (You can read his whole letter here). He perfectly articulated how I feel about this:
"Our opponents in this fight seek to characterize our motivation as hatred.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
I oppose abortion but do not hate those who have it done.
I have opposed bond measures without hating their proponents.
I oppose drinking but do not hate those who drink.
I oppose carpool lanes but do not hate people who carpool.
I oppose couples living together out of wedlock, without hating people who do it.
I oppose same-sex marriage without hating the people who want it.
I oppose what I believe to be error, not because I hate those who err, but because I love the truth."

4. I do not think that children need to learn about gay marriage in school.  In Massachusetts(where same sex marriage is legal) when they teach about "diversity" parents do not even have the right to opt out. This Father was arrested for demanding that he be notified and have the option to not send his child to school that day.  Recently in California a class of 1st graders took a school sponsored field trip to their gay teachers wedding- you can read about it here.  Growing up I had several gay teachers (excellent teachers) and I knew they were gay, but it was never forced on me and I don't want it forced on my children.

So on November 4th I will be voting yes on proposition 8 and I hope that the majority of California will too. I just hope that this time the will of the people will actually matter.  

If you live in California and have not learned about this proposition, I strongly urge you to do your own investigating and vote for what you feel is right... even if you disagree with me. 



12 comments:

Melanie said...

Wonderful post Chanel! I too share your same thoughts and wish I was in CA to vote. I also read about the 1st graders that went to the wedding and couldn't believe it!

Amanda said...

Very well articulated Chanel. I have to agree that I am not a very passionate when it comes to many politics. But, Connecicut's Supreme Court {which has allowed civil unions for a few years now} was sued by some gay couples who wanted to be 'married', not just civily joined. I have spent the past few days all over the internet looking into how this will not only affect me, but our schools, family, church and society as a whole. I would encourage people to do their research as well and agree with that statement made by that man you quote on your blog. I don't want to take anything away from their civil unions or rights as human beings. But marriage as stated by God cannot be changed because people want it to. Thanks so much for spreading the word and posting this.

Natalie said...

Yes! Thank you! We are going thru the same thing in AZ.

Vote yes on Prop. 102 and Prop. 8!!

Thank you Chanel

Liz said...

Good for you! I completely agree with everything you said! My aunt has some funny videos on her blog supporting Prop 8. SHe did say that she has had many of the signs in her yard stolen or tampered with. Isn't that crazy?? If we still lived there you can bet we'd be in support too!

Unknown said...

Hi this is totally random...I'm Amanda Lythgoe's little sister. She told me to read your post and I'm so glad I did. I feel that a lot of people are uneducated about this topic and don't understand it's lasting effects. Now I'm beginning to understand and want to spread the word as well. Thank you for taking the time to write this post and inform so many people on this important issue.

Natasha said...

Well, I strongly disagree but everyone has the right to their own opinion, right? I think my children would absolutely benefit if Kim and I could be legally married. We tell all of our neighbors' children that Kim is my "special person" like how most moms have a daddy as their special person. I don't feel like that is forcing the issue but rather educating children about diversity. Just like I tell my kids about how most people have a mom and a dad, since that concept is foreign to my kids. My kids also have a friend who has 2 dads, and I thought nothing of telling them that little boy is lucky to have 2 dads who loved him so much that they chose him.
It is also a mess tax wise that we cannot marry, yet we have owned 2 homes together. We cannot make medical decisions for each other and cannot carry each other on our health insurance plans. That means that if I have a 3rd child, I would stay home with that baby but be uninsured since Kim could not carry me or that child as a dependent on her health insurance. (Even if we used her egg and I carried the baby, it's still not considered "hers.")

I hope you don't mind my 2 cents! I always enjoy your blog and don't mind other people's opinion, even if they differ from mine. I guess that's why the social work policy class I am teaching this semester is so interesting to me.

Chanel Palmer said...

Natasha-
I am thrilled to have your 2 cents!
I appreciate that you took the time to explain how you and Kim would benefit from being married.

I was a little perplexed about the concerns you raised, like not being able to be on each others insurance. Gay partners in California that have taken legal steps to become domestic partners have ALL the rights that married partners have.
Then after a little Google research I realized the the State you live in- Louisiana does not have legal domestic partnerships or Civil unions. The Louisiana State constitution bans same- sex unions all together. So I completely understand why taxes and insurance are such a mess for you. The inconveniences you and Kim face would be cleared up if you were allowed to have a domestic partnership or civil union.

Natasha said...

Thanks Chanel. Yes, the problem here is that it's not allowed all together. My employer said that I could have Kim on my insurance as a dependent, but the insurance said no since the state has no way of recognizing our relationship.
Anyway, thanks for listening to my point of view!

Michelle said...

Hi Chanel, I certainly don't want to get into any political discussions here (it being your blog and all) but wanted to comment on the school children attending their teachers wedding. It was the idea of one of the parents to do it, and all parents were given the option to keep their kids in school. Personally I thought it was very touching and sweet, but regardless, it was not a school requirement or related at all to Prop 8.

Chanel Palmer said...

Michelle-
Thank you for your comment.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with political discussions on my blog, I think it’s great to be able to explain our thought and opinions.

As for the field trip you are correct, it was the idea of one of the parents and the parents were give the opportunity to opt out and this was not a requirement associated with Proposition 8. I do however think that this has everything to do with proposition 8. Those that are pushing the legalization of gay marriage are also encouraging that we teach children about this “diversity” it at a young age. I am completely against that. I like how Natalie (previous comment) said when she is explaining her gay relationship to young children, she says that Kim is her special friend. I appreciate that she doesn’t go into a long explanation- they are children, special friend is an appropriate explanation.

Another way this field trip is related to Proposition 8... This wedding/ field trip was announced to the entire class. All the children (even the ones who’s parents opted not to send their children) were aware that their female teacher was marrying another female. That forces parents to explain this to their 6 year old children. Eric and I have decided not to even explain sex to our children until they are 8 years old- I would be furious if I was forced to explain homosexual relationships to my 6 year old.

So hopefully I have explained why I included the field trip article in my post.

Kristen said...

I found your blog through a friend. Do you mind if I copy and post this entry? You've put it so beautifully.

Tasha said...

Chanel, I think it is brave and wonderful to become passionate about a cause you believe in and work for it. We went to see the Wises in NOCal last weekend and there was a LOT of hubub going on about prop 8.

 
Blog tracker