Saturday, November 15, 2008

I'm a hooker!


It's true. 

I have been gathering supplies, reading books, studying websites trying to learn everything possible to become a good hooker. I finally felt ready so I purchased a frame on line a few weeks ago.  I even started stripping some of the plethora of Pendelton wool I bought on our road trip. I have drawn out an original design, but I really don't want to hook anything until I know I am doing it the right way. 

So today was the big day!  The big Southern California meeting for rug hookers was today.   Haley and I have been waiting for this day since May 17th when we 1st learned about and tried rug hooking at Art in the park

I registered Haley and I for the beginning class and got a babysitter for Ruby & Lucy (Eric's on call this week).  Haley and my conversation was hilarious on the way there, I wish I could remember it all but Haley was cracking me up talking about how all rug hookers are soooo old. She asked if this class was held at an old folks home.

It was held at a large old Episcopal church. The big room was full of women and rug displays. Haley and I walked around salivating at some of the most beautiful rugs I have ever seen in my life. 

(Sorry all my photos have blurry edges, that's what happens when you drop your camera)



This flag quilt by Polly Minick was AMAZING. I want to make it so bad I can taste it. They had a complete kit there with the book and all the supplies and I just picked it up thinking "I don't even care how much this is- I want it", then I noticed the $350.00 written on the top and slowly set it back down. Ouch!


The beginner class was held in a small classroom with only 4 of us in the class. Our room had beautiful stained glass windows that cast colored light on my canvas. I just loved being surrounded by such talent and beauty. Haley LOVED the entire day. All the old ladies doted over her and told her that they wished they started as young as she is. 


During our class our teacher would be telling a story and say "Oh Betty is an EXCELLENT hooker."... I could not stop cracking a smile about how often they refer to themselves as hookers, and they are so serious.

This was the sample of the pattern we were learning on.


We both learned a lot and got a lot done on our little rugs. We were invited by four local women that meet every Thursday night to hook with them.  We can't wait to go.



I did see a bumper sticker that said "Hookers do it on the rug" I would love to know what people think when they read that and see a sweet old lady driving.





8 comments:

jenny said...

I still love ya even if you are a hooker. Any chance you wanna come play next week? Our house is open! We could sing some "Tonopah!" songs :)

Tasha said...

You would make a fabulous hooker, looks, brains and talent!

I've been wanting to learn to do that ever since I visited Jordan and saw all the amazing things her mom has made.

Suzanne said...

It's always nice when a mother and daughter can find such a wholesome activity to partake in together.

Natalie said...

ummmm...hello, that's amazing! Way to go girl!

Natasha said...

Those are gorgeous, all of them! And too funny about the bumper sticker.

Liz said...

I knew there was a double meaning to that title! :) I think this rug hooking sounds really cool! Can't wait to see some of your finished products!

Shawna B. said...

Very cool, Chanel. I use to make little hook rugs when I was Haley's age. I loved doing it and am thinking that maybe you and Haley need to give me some lessons since I have certainly forgotten anything I might have known how to do! :) I love that you and Haley do this together.

Happy hooking!

Ali said...

Okay, I love the whole Hooker blog post............hilarious!! Quick question.............have you made a decision on where you are where you are going? Utah, Oregon, California,???? Where, Oh, where might the Palmers go?

 
Blog tracker