Friday, September 25, 2009

My little scuba diver

Eric and I got certified as scuba divers shortly after we were married. I will admit it was totally Eric's idea and I went along with it so he would think I was cool. The class was held in a pool with like 25 other divers. I felt so clumsy and claustrophobic. Our certification dives were in a geo-thermal spring in Wendover Nevada. Talk about mirky dirty water, I was miserable. I remember thinking "This is torture, as soon as it's over I am NEVER putting on scuba gear again". 


After several months passed Eric and I were in Puerto Rico visiting some friends and they suggested we go out to a little island called Culebra. We did and we decided to do a dive there.

It was life changing. 

I loved it so much and did not want the dive to end. The water was so clear you could see for miles. All I could hear was myself breathing. The slow waving of the coral and kelp was completely relaxing as the fish swam around me... I was in heaven... I was hooked. 

So you can imagine how excited I was when Haley said she wanted to get certified as a diver. She has been taking the classes for weeks and is finally ready to do her open water certification dives tomorrow!

My stomach is in knots. I am worried sick about my little 11 year old doing dives 60 feet under water in a freezing river where it is so dark the instructors bring lights. It will be her Wendover. I just hope she can make it through and pass off everything so we can go on a real dive with her in Culebra.
 
This is a photo of one of Haley's 3 hour long dive classes. They spent so much time underwater I was bored silly and talking to myself. 


2 comments:

Liz said...

Seriously? That totally freaks me out! Ben and I did a resort day scuba dive in the Keys. I was throwing up, and it was totally miserable. Never again! I hope it goes well for Haley!!

Amanda said...

I was claustraphobic just reading this! You are a brave mom.

I hope she loves it as much as you and Eric do!

 
Blog tracker