Thursday, September 03, 2009

Pear season

I have always LOVED pears so I am in Heaven. I took the girls to gleen pears from the ground over a week ago and we have used them all. So this morning Eric and I took the girls to pick from the trees.


As you can see everyone had fun and didn't want to stop, so our trunk was full of pears.

What do you do with this much fruit you may ask?

First they go in the refrigerator for 24 hours then on the counter for a couple of days until they turn yellow. My girls love "getting the guts out" and making pear chips and fruit leather.





I have been eating pear chips non stop and Lucy just tried one today and said "these are really good... I thought they were going to be sicko".

My Mom just mailed me all her canning stuff. I can't wait to canning some of the pears and some homemade salsa!


3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ok, Chanel. Fess up. How do you make pear chips and what is that last picture of?

Chanel Palmer said...

The last picture is of the fruit leather drying in the dehydrator.

Pear chips are SUPER easy. take the stem and core out of the pear (leave the skin on) and put it through the Cuisinart to cut 1/4" slices of the pears. After they are cut I soak them in lemon juice and water for like 30 min then just lay them in the dehydrator overnight.

I will send you some with your quilt block...as soon as I finish it.

Greg said...

Pears are my favorite fruit. What a wonderful adventure. You have to love the looks of that pre fruit leather slurry. It make you wonder what they sell in stores with all that color.

 
Blog tracker