Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thanksgiving- day 3 Culebra

Luckily my Mom and Sister Tiffany agreed to watch 5 of the kids in Puerto Rico (all day & night) while Dave, Ryan, Eric, Haley and I took a field trip out to Culebra island.


14 Years ago Eric and I went out here diving and to this day it is still my favorite place to dive. I was so excited to take Haley back with us.

We took out the passenger ferry from Fajardo to Culebra. When Eric and I took this ferry out(14 years ago), I was almost crushed to death. Seriously. I was walking between two trucks when one of the trucks rolled backwards pinning me between the two trucks. Luckily people started screaming and he pulled forward and I was not seriously injured (at least not physically).

We went diving with this guy Taz. He was very laid back and a great dive guide. If you are a diver I HIGHLY recommend diving Culebra and this is the guy to call. You can contact him HERE. We did a 2 tank dive. The first dive we were down 45 min and the second dive we were down a little over 30 min. Our average depth was 32 ft, the deepest we went was 45 ft.

This was Haley's 1st real dive... at least that she could enjoy without a full wet suit on. I was blown away with what a solid diver she is. She was very relaxed and did a great job staying neutrally buoyant. I looked like a spaz diver next to her. If you think I am joking, check out this photo of Haley in the back with strait legs looking awesome and me on the left busting out a frog kick.

This may be my favorite photo from the whole trip. I love everything about it.
I am so proud of how confident this little 11 year old has become!

The highlight of the dive was seeing this little sea turtle. Haley swam all over with this little guy playing tag.

This lobster doesn't look that big in the photo, but he was impressive in person.

We had a HUGE school of little fish swimming next to us for awhile. I have never seen such a large school in person. This photo is up close, but it was like a 10 foot wall of fish that was about 20 feet long. So cool.

I had to throw in a photo of some of the sea scape it was so beautiful.


A HUGE thank you to Eric's brother Alan that loaned us his super fancy underwater camera. We took about 200 amazing underwater shots and I am so thrilled to have them.
THANK YOU ALAN!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so amazing that haley can do that!!
tell her I am impressed. I start hyperventilating even looking at the pictures.

wow. what an amazing trip and wonderful sun!

kbc

Tasha said...

We went on a similar cruise for our anniversary in Sept. It was Royal Caribbean, we left from Port Canaveral and did thr Eastern Caribbean. How old do you think kis need to be to enoy a cuise (and be enoyable!) on one?)

Chanel Palmer said...

I can't imagine any kid not enjoying a cruise. As soon as they are 4 they can go to the kids club (which my kids love) and then you can enjoy a few hours of kid free relaxing time. Fyi-they have different clubs for the different age groups and the activities are planned accordingly.

 
Blog tracker