Sunday, February 07, 2010

We will NEVER have another hamster!

The weather here has been beautiful, but my life has been having a torrential down pour. It all started with Haley's lice. I realize to some this is no big deal, but it completely freaked me out. Luckily I think my freaking out and extreme measures helped insure the bugs did not spread to anyone else but Haley. I recognize this was a miracle with 5 girls using the same hair brushes.


Shortly after the lice treatments Haley became VERY sick. Eric had to leave town for a week to attend a conference in California. Haley's fever continued at 103 for over a week and it would not break with medicine. She had such bad stomach upset she lived on the toilet. The poor girl was sick as a dog. I took her into our Doctor twice because she was not getting better. I thought it was a reaction to the lice stuff. The second time they took blood and stool samples. A couple of days later I received a call from the Center for disease control informing me that her tests came back positive for salmonella!



During this same week the side of my car was crashed into while parked. While Haley and I were at the Doctor's office she had left a big glass of red Gatorade on the side table at home. The dogs knocked it over and it spilled all over the sofa and carpet. Did I mention this was Cheyenne's 1st week at a new High School? Eric was still out of town, missing all the action at our house, but he didn't miss our anniversary. I did. How could I forget our 16th anniversary!!! I had lost my mind.

AWWWWWWW!

You may ask... how did Haley get salmonella?




Squrtle the turtle is no longer a member of our family.

I have banned all reptiles from our home. Haley loved this turtle and did not want to give him up... I did not want him in our home. So I sold my soul to the devil and Haley now has a black bear hamster. If you are not aware of our adventures with hamsters you can read here.

Never say never.

4 comments:

KC said...

Poor you! And poor Haley! What a week. When it rains it pours, that's for sure. Hope things look up for you both soon.

jenny said...

Oh my what a week. Here is to a less eventful one! Hope she feels better soon,

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Greg said...

First, I am happy Haley is feeling better. Second, now that she is feeling better, to squirt or not to squirt, is the real question. (Is this proper usage of a potential pun?)

Several years ago Scott got a bearded dragon. We knew it could carry salmonella so we made sure we washed our hands. It was a relatively clean animal and there were no aromas, fragrances or otherwise stenches associated with him. So, hamster or a lizard that eats live crickets? I vote for the reptile over the odor. One just needs to wash their hands religiously. Do not put the reptile on your plate before you eat dinner or lick the bottom of its habitat. Then again, the only risk you have with the furry rodent is odor. As for the lizard, it was the large batch of live crickets that we kept that tended to smell now and then.

So I guess the question is, to squirt or not to squirt may only be answered in time.

 
Blog tracker