Thursday, March 01, 2007

More good advice...

My friend Diane S. gave me some great advice.

1. To quit coloring my hair myself and get it done professionally. I did not realize how bad my hair looked until I had it done right and then looked at old photos. Thank heavens she said something.

2. To buy a Food Savor. She was always telling me how wonderful they are and how she uses hers for everything. I finally got one (about 2 years ago) and it quickly became one of my favorite things. I can't tell you how much time this little machine saves me. I buy everything in bulk, cook it and vacuum it into portions that we use. It takes a couple of hours of cooking once a month then super fast dinners for the rest of the month. Here are a few things that I do with it.

Ground turkey(big 4 pack from Costco)- I cook it all at the same time but will make some seasoned with taco seasoning, some with onions, garlic and celery (spagetti ect) and leave some plain for chili or whatever.
Chicken- I buy raw chicken breasts and cook them, shread them and then bag then in spacific amounts that I need for recipies (chicken enchaladas, tortillia soup etc). Sometime I take the raw chicken and put it in the bag with a marinade, vacuum it, then I can just cook it in the bag and it comes out so juicy. I also will cut up chicken and put teryocky sauce in with it so it's ready to go for stir fry.
Ham-I buy one of those big hams at Costco that you bake with the glaze on it. I will make it for dinner then bag up the rest in to 5 bags with glaze and I have 5 ham dinners that I can cook up in minutes. My kids love ham!

Do I sound like Rachel Ray?



I vacuumed our food and clothes for our 72 emergency kits and was able to easily fit all the supplies and first aid for each person in a backpack. I also vacuumed Lucy's emergency earthquake supplies required for her preschool.




Fyi-I have the big machine(V2490) that they sell at Costco, My Mom bought a smaller version for herself and she doesn't like it at all.

7 comments:

Tasha said...

That's a great idea! I've been doing a lot of cooking and freezing, but there are only so many recipes that are good that way, this would really open it up!

Great advice!

sara b said...

I think you just sold me on the Food Savor. . . looks like a great investment! Thanks for passing along the good advice. Hope you and yours are doing well. It has been fun catching up with your family through blogging, your have grown up so much.

Liz said...

Chanel, I love you! This is great info. I've had people tell me about this before. BUt I love the visual, and I love that you told how you package and cook up your food. What a time and space saver!! Thanks so much. I am planning on heading to Costco today, if the pouring down rain ever stops. So I might just do this.

jenny said...

I remember coloring hair right along with you. It wasn't up until a few years ago I finally decided I should have someone else do it.

Great advice on the vacuuming thing. Umm now what to get a power washer I have been dying to get or a vacuum? Thanks for the tips!

Jordan said...

You ARE Rachael Ray!! My sister swears by her food saver too...maybe I should invest, I would definitely go for the mega-sized one. I'm am overwhelmedly impressed with your freezer meal supply. Wow!

Jill said...

Do you find yourself wanting to vacuum pack anything and everything? I think I would if I had such a tool. I never would have thought to seal stuff for 72 hour kits, but that's a great idea.

michelle said...

You should do infomercials, I am totally wanting a food saver now!

 
Blog tracker