Monday, October 12, 2009

The Oregon Caves

While driving home from the coast we took a drive up the very windy road to go see the Oregon Caves. Although we did not stay at the lodge, it's so really cool and you can read about it here.


This was the entrance to the cave. It was 41 degrees inside with 100% humidity according to our guide. We were prepared with warm jackets so we were fine. It was tight, with 16 people on our tour. It I had to duck down to get through lots of passages, so I'm sure it was a long 90 min on Eric's back. 

These were the precautions:
The cave tour lasts 90 minutes, is considered moderately strenuous, and is not recommended for people with heart, breathing, or walking problems. The half mile (1 km) route includes more than 500 stairs (most of which are steep and uneven) and a total climb of 230 feet (70 m). The lowest passageway you will have to duck under is about 45 inches (about 1 m) tall. Visitors have the option to leave the cave 45 minutes into the tour.

They didn't mention that you will feel trapped, claustrophobic and may start to panic when the guide tells you you are 200 feet underground. I'm not saying that I felt that way... but I was really proud of myself for not leaving at the 45 min exit (although I secretly wanted to). 

The formations really were beautiful and amazing.

When we made it outside I think we all had a feeling of relief.  Eric, Ruby and Lucy opted to take a long hike back to the lodge. I went with Haley to check out the gift store (per her request). 


1 comment:

Suzanne said...

We like looking at caves too. There are some near here that are always 50 some degrees inside. It feels wonderful to go there in the summer when it's beastly hot outside.

 
Blog tracker