Monday, August 16, 2010

Visitors

We have been lucky enough to have lots of visitors recently.  My fabulous friend Melissa and her family came up from California. I don't know what it is about Melissa, but she always makes me laugh so hard it hurts (I think that can count as exercise... right?).

We dragged the kids(and her husband John) shopping.


They were very excited about all the quilt stores.


John and Melissa are so much fun we had an absolute blast rafting the Rogue with them. Melissa and I got into the tubes (tied to the back of the raft) and it was hilarious, I can't post any photos of us (because I said I wouldn't) so here is the next best photo. This was the point when Cheyenne and Haley realized they were going to die.  


Everyone survived and had a great time. I really hope they come back next summer and we make this a tradition. So fun!

Then we had my Aunt Patty and Uncle Fred pull into town in there 40 foot motor home with their little white dog Macy. They were able to park and stay on our property for few days. It was so fun to spend time with them and Opal loved having Macy to play with. I am kicking myself I didn't take more photos with them, but luckily the last night I snapped a photo of them at dinner. After dinner Patty and I had the shopping trip of all shopping trips. She has a great sense of humor! We love you guys!


While Fred and Patty were here we also had a pacific crest trail hiker stay here for the night. He is a friend of a friend and needed a place to shower and do laundry. He is literally hiking from Mexico to Canada! From the second he came in our home he was bombarded with question after question from everyone. Why are you doing this? Do you have a job? How many miles do you hike in a day?... It was fascinating to listen to him and he was a really good sport about it. He actually has a blog that he updates from his I phone you can follow his journey here.  Fyi- he hikes between 25-30 miles a day and only gets a shower about every 7-10 days. His trail nickname is comet, probably because he moves so fast.

He was a super nice guy. My girls were cracking up that he had to sleep in pink sheets with a floral quilt, that's what you get in a house with 4 girls!

The organization and planning that has gone into his trip was amazing. He is a lightweight so this his backpack with all his supplies except for food is only about 9 lbs.

This is Dave when I dropped him back out on the trail all washed up, fed and ready to go. Good luck Comet!

3 comments:

Greg said...

It is nice to know that you are close tot he PCT. If I ever get the hankering to make it up you way on the PCT I will give you a call.

Suzanne said...

So glad to see Melissa on your blog again. Don't you just get the biggest warm fuzzies when you have visitors who make your home part of their vacation?

Comet said...

Thank you again so much for taking in and feeding a strange hiker. I finished up Sept. 13th at the Canada border and am back home now with my wonderful wife!

-Comet

 
Blog tracker