Friday, March 18, 2011

Ruby's ortho adventures

For almost a year Ruby has been seeing the Orthodontist. She has had space maintainers then a pallet expander bar on the roof of her mouth that we would turn with a key. She has been so excited about all of this even marking the calendar and reminding me when to turn her bar.  But when the Dr said she was ready for braces and we set the date she could hardly contain herself. To say she was excited is a total understatement!

 before

during


Receiving instruction on using her reverse-pull head gear.... She is even excited about this!
(luckily she is only to wear this at night)


Ruby with her braces!

She totally thought she was "all that"... until she woke up the next morning.

Now she is no longer smiling.

It's a good thing Grandma Bonnie arrives tomorrow to take Ruby on her BIG TRIP to New York. I just hope she will be able to eat there.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

As a former braces wearer, the key was to eat well the day before the appointments and then to suffer on a diet of delicious milk shakes. I bet the fashionista will be just fine in NY.

Liz said...

Wow, I've never seen head gear like this before. Braces are a painful process at least at first. It does get better. Lindsey has an appointment in June to get her molds done for braces. She and Hailey have missing teeth, so we either get to move some teeth forward or wait until they are fully grown for implants. This is going to be a long and expensive journey.


What is Hailey doing in New York? Visiting American Girl? She is going to LOVE it. The weather here was 70 degrees yesterday!! I don't think it will be quite that warm the next week, but still no rain in the forecast!

Tasha said...

Oh that Head GEAR!!! My mom got braces when I was 6 and she had to wear head gear for a few hours during the day and she wouldn't leave the house. I hope Ruby has a wonderful trip to NYC. I am going to suggest this tradition to my dad! He's only got 4 grandkids, he should be able to swing it. How old are your girls when then go?

Chanel Palmer said...

Liz & Tasha-
When the DR showed us a photo of the reverse pull head gear, I had to stop myself from totally cracking up. I had never seen something like that before, it's crazy.

My Mom and Ruby left this morning for NY. My mom takes each of her grandkids (she has 7) on the trip of their choice. The only catch is it has to be educational and or historical and they have to be at least 8 years old. Ruby is obsessed with fashion so she choose to go to NYC to the fashion district. My mom has planned plenty of "fashion stuff" but they will also do the NY stuff like the statue of liberty. It's a great tradition. She took Haley to Maine to see the puffins and Lucy is already planning out her trip.

 
Blog tracker