Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Opal update

*****Due to DSL issues I have not been blogging. Our internet connection is so slow I can't stand using it right now.  I have received several complaints about not updating my blog so here is a post that I typed in 2 months ago and never published.******

If you are not a dog person, this post will seal the deal. I knew Opal was going to be a lot of work, but there have been some situations I never saw coming.

The big concern was of course potty training. She will go all day using the doggie door and not have one accident. Then Eric will get home and she will have 3 accidents in a matter of a couple of hours. Clearly she didn't understand self preservation. As of today she is doing really well and well, accident free as long as she is not allowed upstairs.

Another big problem was coprophagia... she was eating her own poop. So disgusting. I read on line that this is not uncommon and to sprinkle red pepper on the poop after they go they will not eat it and get out of the habit. It has worked really well... for a while.  Then she decided that she didn't mind the extra flavor.  We are now trying pills from Petco that as supposed to stop it, but no luck yet.

The biggest trial for me was getting her to sleep through the night. Every night for the first 2 weeks she would wake up around 4am and want to play. I didn't want her to wake everyone up so I would take her downstairs and sleep on the sofa. After 2 weeks of sleeping on the sofa the unthinkable happened.

****This is your warning**** If you are pregnant or have a quick gag reflex stop reading here. You have been warned.

One night (while sleeping on the sofa) Opal started scratching on her kennel door so I opened it up. She quickly ran into the kitchen and out the doggie door all by herself. I was so proud of her for going outside, that when she came back in I lifted her up to the sofa and was saying "good girl" when she proceeded to lunge forward to lick my face. I do not ever like dogs to lick my face, but especially not when the dog has just been outside eating her own poop! Yes in the middle of the night, half asleep she licked my face with her freshly poop coated tongue. I started gagging and almost threw up.

Luclily for her I am a forgiving person and allowed her to live.

While that was the WORST Opal experiencebut here are a few that were not far behind.

Coming home and finding holes chewed in 3 of our chairs...
Then a few days later realizing that she had been teathing on base of our breakfast table.

The good news is that Max and Opal have become great friends... most of the time. He is still not thrilled with her jumping on him to try to get him to play with her constantly, but he loves having her around.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I had just been thinking of Opal. How much longer does she have on her lease at your house? Do you think she's going to make it as a permanent member of the family?

Michelle said...

I am not a dog person. I have no desire to own one. As the only female in a house with 5 other males, I will eventually lose out on that battle. Your post has me scared, very, very scared. Maybe I will make my husband read it. Ugh!

April said...

Chanel, been there done that. Gidget just stopped eating her poop one day for no apparent reason, but did for about a year or so, very disgusting instinct.
The other lovely instinct, chewing the furniture was a big problem for us. We tried all kinds of chew toys and treats, but nothing worked until the miraculous "Bully Stix", they changed our life. You have to buy them at smaller boutique pet stores and they're pricey, but cheaper than ruining furniture. Don't try knock offs, she loves this brand/type the best. It has worked for others I've let onto it.

KC said...

Oh my gosh! That sounds worse than having a baby. At least a baby won't lick you with a poop tongue and they usually don't chew up the furniture. I think you have talked me out of an inside dog for good. You are truly a forgiving person.

 
Blog tracker