Friday, April 11, 2008

Displaying art work

I love art, but I especially love art that my kids have made. A while back I posted about this masterpiece, but not all of my kids art gets matted and framed. Here are a few ways we display the beautiful creations that come home each day.


The Art Gallery

I purchased magnetic wall strips from HERE and use them to hang artwork all down the hallway. I bought nine of them on sale and put them end to end in two rows down our upstairs hall.  They have some that are similar at IKEA for .99 cents each HERE, but they are black and I have no idea how long they are. 

The hidden Kitchen Gallery 
Our kitchen is too small to have artwork on the walls so one of my favorite places to hang it in on the inside of all the cupboard doors. I love opening the doors to see their creations!
 
One art tradition that we have in our home is when each girl turns 5 years old they get to paint a "real" portrait of our family on stretched canvas.  I talk to them for a while about how to plan it out and and trace it with pencil, other then that I stay out of the creation process.

Haley worked on her painting for about 2 weeks every day after school. I broke my no suggestions rule on Haley's painting. I strongly encouraged/forced her to paint Ruby and Dad holding hands.  Everyone else was together (notice little Lucy on my shoulder) and Ruby was out there alone.  Notes about the paining: Eric has a surf board under his arm.  The red dot above the Sun is Saturn. There is a is a big waterfall on the left and a sprinkler near Ruby putting drops of water all over the sky.  There are six of her signature butterflies that she drew constantly at that age.
Ruby finished her painting in about 3 days. I love that every one is happy and in the air including Max and her late Guinnea pig Ariel. I love her perspective on how tall Eric is and how long his legs are. While she was painting this she made sure she put lipstick on all the girls, but commented that Dad did not have lipstick, just lips.  She spent her time making sure she had everyone's hair and eye color just right.

I can't wait until next year to see how Lucy interprets our family and hang her painting next to the other two!

You can see how I archive these fine pieces of art after they have served sufficient time in the Art Gallery HERE.

7 comments:

Annemarie said...

I LOVE their fine art work! I need to take some of these organization tips and apply them in my own home...you are amazing!!

Jill said...

These are great ideas! I can't believe I've never thought to get Whitney a real canvas to paint on, she'd love it.

I've never thought to put artwork inside the cabinets before, but that's a good idea.

Hilary said...

These are the best ideas! I love the canvas idea too... I think, since my oldest is 6, I'll have the age be 7... Can't wait! What kind of paint do you have them use?

Thanks for sharing!

Chanel Palmer said...

I have them use acrylic craft paint because I have a lot of it.

I have been surprised with both girls how many colors they want and how specific they are about what shade to use. The acrylic paints are cheep so you can give them more choices.

...One thing I just remembered, the large canvases(16x20) are expensive at Walmart. I bought a 2 pack at Michael's for the cost of one at Walmart.

Suzanne said...

I love your ideas for creative expression and how you revere the girls' pictures as work of art.

Liz said...

I think this is such a great idea!! Why didn't you have a blog 3 years ago when Lindsey turned 5?? :) Maybe I will just start an 8 year old family portrait.

You are so creative!!

Amanda said...

Great ideas! Posey had an art party for her 6th bday and we gave all the kids 3x5 canvases (they were like 50% off and super cheap!) to paint their own creation. Loving the family portrait idea! It's so interesting to see their interpretations! I love Eric's long legs and how everyone is in the sky on Ruby's! So fun!

 
Blog tracker