Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Charity

I am writing a talk for this Sunday on Charity, the pure love of Christ. I remember hearing this quote(below) for the 1st time and being changed by it. I have a tendency to be too honest thinking that honesty is always best. I need to remember that often holding your tongue is best. I really need to read this everyday until it becomes part of who I am.

“Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended. … Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other” (“The Tongue Can Be a Sharp Sword,” Ensign, May 1992, 18–19).

3 comments:

jenny said...

For what it's worth. I always enjoy your honesty. It helped me in so many ways. Great quote! Good luck with your lesson--I am sure it will be awesome as always. :)

Amanda said...

Such a good quote. It goes along with Elder Holland's most recent conference talk about words (I can't remember what it was called). Good luck on your talk!

Jill said...

I love this quote and am happy to be revisiting it. I remember being struck by the part about giving each other the benefit of the doubt and remaining quiet. I'm always so quick to react and judge (mentally) but if I were to pause for a moment I would definitely be able to relate or understand the other person's side. We can't just have The Pure Love of Christ when serving our children or those we serve at church, it has to be all the time and that is so hard.

 
Blog tracker