Saturday, September 27, 2008

Service

Tonight was the General Relief Society Meeting at our church.  

I did not want to go, I just didn't feel like it, but I paid a baby sitter and I went.

There was a huge humanitarian project at the beginning making quilts, hygiene kits and putting together school bags for people in Afghanistan.   I spent 2 hours tying the most stubborn quilt (I now have blisters).   I was working with two other women both probably 3 times my age. One had raised 6 kids and the other had 9.  I was impressed by how hard they must have worked to raise so many children and how they were still out working hard and doing this service for people in other countries.  I also thought about the people that would be receiving these items and how different their lives are then mine.  I came home with a whole new perspective.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I think it is so great when stake's make an effort such as this. I feel like the stake I am in now, does not really spend much time on Humanitarian service. Don't get me wrong, we do service within our community, but I'd like to see them doing more stuff like this.

I watched the broadcast at home on the internet...I really enjoyed Pres. Uchtdorf's talk.

Jacki Rich said...

Enjoyed sitting by you! I agree with you. It is amazing how lucky we are!
-jacki

Shawna B. said...

It was a great meeting, wasn't it? I loved it as well, and like you, came home with a new perspective. I generally do after those meetings. I just wish my "new perspective" would last a little longer! :)

Natalie said...

Thanks for your short and sweet post. I love posts about everyday thoughts and lessons. I'm glad you had that experience...it was a great meeting. My favorites was Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. I needed it!

 
Blog tracker