Friday, May 15, 2009

Inherited obsession

My Father was an interior designer in the LA area so I spend a lot of time in this building (the blue whale) as a kid.  I knew exactly which showrooms had the best candy and where the most comfortable chairs were. I knew the showroom that despised kids.  I remember one day in particular that my Dad had me wait outside because I was too hyper to go in that day.  


My favorite part of going to the Pacific Design Center with my Dad was choosing fabric. He would tell me what he was looking for and I would "help" him find it. I would walk up and down the rows of fabric samples hanging and feel each one to determine what would work. I loved the feel of the fabric.  He would critique the ones I choose explaining why or why not they would work for the project then he would check out a few of my samples to make me feel good. Sometimes when there were fabrics I loved he would check them out just to make me happy on the ride home. 

It's no wonder that I love textiles as much as I do.  I was practically put through textile boot camp as a kid.  At a young age I knew what toile, damask and raw silk were.   

So today my friend Stephanie and I drove out to the Laguna Beach Design Center for their big sale.  The last time I went to a design center was with my Dad about 30 years ago.  It brought back so many memories and I found myself once again having to touch everything looking for great fabrics.  We went in the Brunschwig & Fils showroom and they were selling all their floor samples for $1 a bundle.  Most people were buying a couple of bundles, but I bought enough to stuff a large shopping bag to the top.  These fabrics retail for between $60- $200 a yard!!!!

I bought tons of gorgeous fabrics, amazing fabrics that will become pillows, purses and lots of other stuff for...... drum roll please.....

$18.00
 Talk about joy- I was very happy on the ride home!

I cant stop playing with my new fabric... it just makes me happy! I realize I am a little obsessed, but it's on my blood and I can't help it.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Score!

When I hear stories about places like the Pacific Design Center, or the ribbon outlet, or L & M fabric store, I wonder what might be under my nose here (besides corn and soybeans) that is waiting to be discovered! There's got to be something, right?!

Chanel Palmer said...

I'm sure they exists there, you just need to ask people that have lived there a long time... and of course Google a lot.

Liz said...

Wow! You sure got one heck of a deal! Can't wait to see what creative Chanel comes up with!

KC said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I thought I got the deal of the century on my recent airline tickets purchase. But I think you have me beat. And your addiction to fabric is making more sense to me now that I know the history. :)

April said...

I love this about you, all your creative energy!

Jinky said...

Scooooore!

 
Blog tracker