Tuesday, January 26, 2010

That will never happen to us..

You know those things that you see on the news or you hear people talking about and you think "That will never happen to me"...


After avoiding it my entire life and knowing that my kids would never get it because they are blonde, I found lice on Haley's head last night.

I am completely disgusted and freaked out by these bugs in our home. All 4 girls have been using the same hairbrushes. On Sunday morning I lined them all up in my bathroom and used my brush to do their hair for church. I know that that possibility of all 5 of us hosting these critters is probably unavoidable.

I am keeping everyone home tomorrow. Doing the lice treatments and combing, bagging all stuffed animals, washing bedding ect.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to conquer this and keep my sanity, please BRING IT ON!



6 comments:

Shonda said...

Google the Cetaphil treatment!

Shonda said...

Not that we've ever had it. It could never happen to us! (Furiously knocking on wood)

Amanda said...

Oh Chanel, Chanel! I feel I could write a book! We've battled it 3 times with Posey. It is not fun. My head was itchy for weeks after and I couldn't sleep at all, and I swear every time Terry is out of town.

Don't go insane. Wash all bedding/coats,scarfs, etc. on HOT, HOT water. Vacuum the mattresses. Buy a big box of gloves and watch about 3 movies while you comb out everyone's hair.

I am a big fan of Fairy Tales Hair Care now. Check out their website which has a ton of information about lice. They sell products that aren't pesticides that will get rid of lice, and also hair products that are supposed to help repel it. It's expensive, but it buys me piece of mind and we use it religously.

I feel your pain! Email me if you have more questions. You can make it through! My pediatrician told me that his kids had it and so did his wife. The nurse overheard us and said she had it too when her kids did. It's practicially a rite of passage these days.

Hang in there!!

Joella said...

When we lived in New Orleans I took Brady to get his haircut. He was still in nursery at the time. And with that blonde almost white hair. The hairstylist announced to me in what seemed like the loudest voice possible, "I cannot cut his hair he has lice." I was mortified. Needless to say we got over it. It was so many years ago I can't even tell you what we did. Good luck

Jinky said...

Back in the Philippines when I was little, my Grandma shaved all my hair off my head! She basically did that to all her grandkids at one point! --Good luck!

Greg said...

What a pain. With the boys it was easy - cut their hair short. With Emily and her long blonde hair, it was off the garage where I painstakingly deloused her then she shampooed. They were back and off to the garage again and I combed her hair more methodically. It was time to use whatever it took. I was ready to put the Dursban insecticide in a shampoo bottle. Rechecking every day, shampooing everyday with the special shampoo and finally coast was clear.

Vigilance is the key. Once you have processes everyone, they need to quarantine themselves from anything that will cause reinfestation. You could miss that one nit on one person and then have a complete reinfestation. You may need to use the shampoo treatment for a few days as a prophylactic measure. Good luck.

 
Blog tracker