Saturday, December 30, 2006

A great Christmas.


Every year at this time I try to think about how to make next Christmas less busy, but I think I have finally realized that all that busy is what makes it so fun. I love the process of making gifts, buying gifts and doing things for others so much, that the actual day of opening gifts almost seems anticlimactic.

Here some of what I enjoyed this Christmas:

Having my Mom here to completely spoil us with great cooking and buying tons of groceries. The night before she came I was so sick I couldn’t cook and we all ate cereal for dinner. I told the girls that Grandma would be here soon and that she would cook them real food. She cooked tons and we ate tons. I think we ate more food and treats last week then one should eat in a year.

Having Eric home for the three days before Christmas. It was so fun to have him home for the whole holiday and not to be traveling.

Taking the kids to houses on Christmas Eve to “ding, dong ditch” as Haley called it. I had several gifts (from last year’s 75% off Target sale) that we delivered to families that we thought would appreciate a little extra something this year. It was fun to watch the girls get into it.

Watching the kids put out the reindeer food on Christmas Eve. They were very serious about how and where to put it on the grass. Lucy brought home this little bag from Preschool that says:

Sprinkle on the lawn at night
the moon will make it sparkle bright
Santa's reindeer fly and roam
This will guide them to your home!

The bag had oatmeal, green glitter and red sugar sprinkles. The girls had so much fun with the idea that we all forgot to leave milk and cookies for Santa.



Watching the girls open their gifts Christmas morning. Eric made and painted a indo board (balance board that you "surf" over a pipe) for Haley. She loves it, but I am expecting a broken arm or leg soon.



Actually getting to see TWO movies in the THEATER with my husband. I can’t remember the last movie that Eric and I went to together. We have Netflix so we never go out to movies. Since my Mom was here she put the kids to bed and sent us out to the movies. We saw the pursuit of Happyness and The Holiday- both very good movies.

And last but not least, significantly increasing the livable space of our home by removing the Christmas tree and all Christmas clutter. Priceless.

5 comments:

everything pink! said...

so great. That Eric is a genius!
so true for our small little home once the tree was gone it felt like it doubled in size.

i love the idea of dropping off toys... doing that next year for sure!
some of our target toys are already 75% off. we bought awesome light up swords from the piarates of the Carriabean today for $3.00 a piece to do a FHE on the armor of God.

jenny said...

I remember the reindeer food. You guys made that for us one year.

I know what you mean about the space. I finally feel like I have a house again. I want to see Holiday. Maybe in due time.

everything pink! said...

Happy New Year!

Jill said...

I know exactly what you mean about getting to go the movies with your husband. That's rare for me and Randy too, and usually we don't miss it too much because of Netflix but it is really nice to be out on a date sometimes. I'm glad your mom took such good care of you guys.

We still have our tree and Christmas decorations up, but I'm thinking today is the day to add the extra space to our tiny home. It's always a great feeling when things get back to normal.

melanie said...

I love your necklace too! Very cute!

BTW, we had dead rats in butter for Christmas eve and everyone loved them. Thanks for sharing!

 
Blog tracker