Thursday, December 21, 2006

A little traumatized
Last night was out Relief Society Christmas Dinner. I did not want to go. I have come down with the sickness that has plagued everyone I know. On top of feeling lousy, my Mom’s flight was coming in at the same time as the dinner- a perfect out. For some reason I really felt like I should go to the dinner, so I did. I arrived at the dinner, set my purse down next to my good friend and then walked out into the hall to talk to someone. Almost immediately my friend that I set my purse next to grabbed my arm hard and pulled me out into the hall. As soon as I saw her eyes I knew what was wrong. This dear friend, my age and with 3 children also, has a brain tumor. They tried unsuccessfully to remove it last year. I took her into the Relief Society closet (a large closet with carpet on the floor). I then held her as she went through a terrible seizure. I felt unbelievably calm, like I knew what to do. I had the Missionaries come give her a blessing and called her husband. I have never seen a seizure before. I had no idea how terrible and scary they are. After it was over her husband arrived and took her home. I quietly sat through the RS program feeling completely disconnected from it and traumatized but I absolutely knew why I needed to be there last night. I am so thankful that I listened to the prompting to go and I am thankful for the comfort that I felt during. I am so thankful for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

7 comments:

jenny said...

Chanel,

That is an amazing story and I am teary eyed reading it. You definitely were blessed for listening to the still small voice. I am so glad you were able to be there for her.

Tasha said...

I'm totally crying too Chanel. I am so glad you were there.

Jordan said...

Oh jeez, Chanel. What a story. Today, I finally got all my kids out of the car, Hazel strapped in the baby bjorn and off we went, I thought--I should go back and lock the car, I almost didn't but as I've gone through life, too much depends on listening to that voice. I wouldn't be married to the man I am if I hadn't listened years ago. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this story today - I am glad you listened. I hope that I will listen, too, as your example has urged us.

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, that's quite a story. It makes me wonder how many moments I've missed by not listening closely enough. Your friend is so lucky that you were there.

Anonymous said...

Chanel, what an experience. I am so glad you were there for your friend. I'm sure you were such a comfort to her. It is so sad to hear about people our age, trying to raise their children, who have such serious health issues. Thanks for the reminder of the importance of listening to the Holy Ghost.

Merry Christmas, Chanel!

everything pink! said...

chanel, i can see you being calm and in control. you were the perfect friend for her that night.
well wishes to your friend.

 
Blog tracker