Monday, July 16, 2007

Lessons on swimming... and life


My car is at the dealer getting fixed so we drove Eric's (non-mini van) car to the pool today. We had all the windows down and the sunroof open. The girls were going crazy screaming and holding their hands up like it was a ride.


The pool is normally uneventful, but today not only did Ruby have a near death experience but all three girls had a life changing experience.

After swimming lessons Ruby went to jump off the high diving board. She walked to the end of the board, turned around and said "I'm going backwards" and jumped backwards. At the same time she jumped the like guard said "no jumping backwards". It was too late, she had jumped and did not clear the board. Something hit, but I could tell that it was not serious...the lifeguard on the other hand screamed "OH S___", blew his whistle and jumped in. He was so panicked that he jumped way passed her and couldn't find her because she was already at the side of the pool. When he swam up to her she said "I'm fine, I just scratched my hand on the board". He was visibly bugged and embarrassed. I was just glad that Ruby was ok and Haley didn't ask what he yelled.

Today the locker room was full of naked senior citizens changing into swimming suites. I wish I could have taken a photo of my girls faces as we walked through. Their mouths and eyes were wide open and I had to remind them several times to keep walking. The conversation the whole way home was about what they had seen and why bodies wrinkle with age. They will never be the same.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Oh my word! I am laughing at the senior citizens thing! Your children are scarred for life!!! ;)

That is scary about Ruby! Hopefully she won't do that again!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, what a day at the pool! I'm so glad Ruby didn't get seriously hurt, I was scared to read what happened so it was a relief that she didn't smack her face or something. Yikes!

Naked old people...they're not to young for therapy right?

Melanie said...

you and your girls make me smile :) too funny! I cant wait for ciella to get a little older!

jenny said...

I just read through this and seriously am laughing so hard. I would have loved to hear that conversation. Hmmm.:) Glad Ruby wasn't hurt!

 
Blog tracker