Saturday, July 28, 2007

Haley and Grandma Bonnie in Maine

...Before I go into how what an amazing trip this was for Haley, I have to say how incredibly thoughtful my Mom was with the planning of this trip. Not only did my Mom send her a bright blue (her favorite color) rolling suite case to take on the trip, but when Haley met my Mom in Salt Lake my Mom gave her this super cute tote bag (embroidered with a puffin and Haley's name) full of art supplies, a sketch book, journal and tons of Haley's favorite candies and gum and a big pack of American Girl bath products. My Mom also let the bed and breakfast know that it was Haley's birthday so when Haley came down for breakfast they had a big balloon tied to her chair with a birthday card. Haley felt so special, she knew that this trip was all for her. I swear she came back more confident then when she left.



Haley said that her favorite part of the trip was the Puffin cruise. The head of Project Puffin was on the boat that day and he signed a copy of his book on Puffins for Haley.

Puffins are small birds (like a small pigeon) and because this is a protected wildlife area and they could not get close to the island it was hard to photograph the Puffins. Haley said that they flew over the boat and were in the water next to the boat at times.

Here is one on the water

This is what they look like close up if you are a professional photographer on the island and not on a boat.

Grandma Bonnie and Haley on the cruise

What else did they do besides the cruise- they shopped. Haley came home with an extra large tote bag filled with Puffin stuff. If it had a puffin on it, they bought it.


They ate lobster. Haley said that she didn't care for the lobster but loved broiled scallops.


They went to lighthouses

They went to the lighthouse museum and the Puffin museum, oh and did more shopping.


My Mom complained that Haley reads too much. I sent Haley with one long book and strict rules that she was only to read on airplanes and at night. My Mom ended up buying her 3 additional books through the trip because Haley would stay up late to Read.


Something that I can't leave out. The night before Haley left she asked her Sisters what they wanted her to bring back for them from Main. Ruby said "Look for a fashion dress that only has one strap and then goes around under my other arm. If you can't find that fashion dress, just get me some make up". I told Haley absolutely no fashion dresses or make up. Haley found a "fashion dress" and had my Mom take a picture of it for Ruby.

My Mom said that she fully expects Ruby to want to go to Paris for fashion week for her trip.

Mom,
Thank you so much!
Haley really had the time of her life and will always remember this trip and the time she spent with you.
Thank you for planning it and taking such good care of her!
FYI- When she was pulling out the gifts for her sisters she said "I really had to fight to get this shirt for Lucy, Grandma said that she didn't like tie dye in the 60s and she still doesn't like it" she said it exactly how you said it to her. Eric and I were cracking up. I'm sorry to tell you that it has become Lucy's favorite shirt.

EDIT****Haley said to me today "Mom, do you what to know what I'm going to do when I'm grown up? I'm going to get married and live with my husband on Wickasette Road on Maine. I'm gona have a hedge hog as a pet and my Husband will catch lobsters from the sea and sell them to restaurants.

11 comments:

Suzanne said...

What a fabulous trip! This is a great summary of Haley's special trip with her grandma. I am especially touched by Haley's thoughtfulness and her ability to accommodate Ruby's request by thinking outside of the box. Now, I have to go and do some research about Puffins.

Anonymous said...

Okay her trip sounded like something out of the movies. Bonnie complained of Haley reading too much?? That's actually pretty funny. And that dress is SOOO Ruby. I will look forward to hearing about Paris in the near future :)

Jen

Anonymous said...

Wow, I want to be adopted. Vacation of my choice, shopping, and sweet memories with Grandma. What a special treat!

Natasha said...

Wow, what a trip with grandma for your daughter to always remember!
My Luci is a reader as well, I understand the too many books thing.

sista # 2 said...

MY MIL was carrying on the tradition of taking each grandchild to Disneyland (I grew up there!)for their 6th grade grad.
My in laws (& us) all live in Mesa, so the drive is short enough.
I love your mom's tradition! It is custom to each child! The sleeveless dress cracks me up. & the puffins are sooo cute ;)

Oh ya, last year was our daughter's turn with grandma & a girl cousin. We accompanied them to Disney & Sea World! She is in bad health now, so she missed one this year. That's always sad. I hope I'm around to do trips with my grandchildren! Oh. your mom sounds awesome! Janae

Tasha said...

What a great trip! The grandkids will remember these trips their whole lives! I am laughing out loud about the "fashion dress". What a girl!

Shawna B. said...

Does Grandma Bonnie take friends on trips as well? Because I am available to go anytime.
What a great thing for a Grandma to do. Guess who just added "take my grandchildren on trips" to their list of things they are going to do when they are a grandma? Yep, I have a list.

Wickasette Road sounds like a mighty fine place to live! When I read about Ruby wanting a fashion dress, I thought, "we are going to be clamoring to buy Ruby Palmer designs someday!"

michelle said...

This is just amazing. I love that your mom does this, and I can't imagine anything that would make a child feel more special! No wonder she came home feeling more confident. That exchange with Ruby asking for the fashion dress is the funniest thing ever. What a girl!

Jill said...

I am blown away by your mom's generosity and thoughtfulness with this trip for Haley. The experience and memories are priceless I'm sure. I can't even imagine spending an afternoon with my grandma, let alone an entire trip like this. Haley is a lucky, lucky girl. Wow.

Amanda said...

speechless. a trip she will cherish forever.

KC said...

Hey! I love reading your blog (second to getting to see you everyday though). The trip Haley took with your mom looks like so much fun. I'm going to do that with my Grandkids. I miss you all so much. I want to make the birthday quilt. There is a cute (very Hawaiian) quilt shop here. They have the cutest sea turtle quilt and a cute pineapple one too. I want to get sewing! Love you!

 
Blog tracker