Saturday, August 04, 2007

Today at the Getty

We had an amazing day at the Getty Center's Family Festival. The day's theme was inspired by Oudry's Painted Menagerie so everything was animal oriented.

The girls made feather hats

And faux animal skin frames

They played in the fountains

There is a long travertine wall where the tiles make different tones when you hit them. It's like a huge xylophone.
My kids do not do well at museums so these outside festivals are the perfect bait to get them to go. We did get to see Clara the rhinoceros and Manet's Bar at the Folies-Bergere before they started begging to go back outside.

My favorite part of the day was seeing the Gamelan Burat Wangi perform. They did a Balinese music and dance performance that was incredible. We all sat in the hot sun for an hour mesmerized by them. The music was like nothing I have ever heard. The musicians used a metal hammer to hit metal drums and metal tiles. It was very loud but really cool. The dancers made very small jerky movements, even their eyes would go back and forth to the beat. Haley was concerned that their costumes were immodest.


My girls LOVED the dragon. He too had very jerky movements to the music, but was playful and funny and ended up coming out into the audience right by us right after I put my camera away.

We came home totally exhausted and kind of sick from eating snack food all day, but it was so much fun.

4 comments:

Jill said...

It's cute that you have to schnocker the girls into going to museums when they have festivals, you are a wise mom to take them repeatedly.

I love that Haley was concerned about the immodesty of the costumes, Whitney often points things like that out to me and it makes me happy to know she listens to me sometimes.

Liz said...

Now this is one thing I would have loved to go to! I really wanted to make it to the Getty before we left CA, but it never happened. Good for you! I love all the fun things they had going on for the kiddos!

jenny said...

I can't believe how much Lucy is resembling your girls. I LOVE that photo of her.

Glad you had a successful fun outing!

Tasha said...

What a great day! Your girls are sure darling Chanel. I miss having you all across the canal!

 
Blog tracker