Sunday, January 06, 2008

The challenge is on!

For many years our Church leaders have counseled us to prepare our families for times of need. I have always known this was important but after watching the floods in New Orleans it really woke me up to do something about it.

Our Bishop wants to help all the members of our Ward be better prepared so the 1st Sunday of the month he extends a challenge to two families in the Ward to only live off of their food storage for one week. Today we were one of the lucky families. 


So for the next week, no trips to the market or Costco, we can only eat what we have. I feel like we are basically prepaired, but I really needed to go shopping on Saturday so we are super low on milk, bread, cheese and fresh fruit. This is going to be difficult, but I know we are going to learn from it and be better prepared in the future.

Our kids were supper bummed out about this challenge until we opened up a can of dried sliced bananas after church. Now they think food storage is great- just wait until they taste powdered milk!


"We encourage Church members worldwide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings.

"We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve."
—The First Presidency, All Is Safely Gathered In: Family Home Storage, Feb. 2007,

For information about home storage you can go HERE.

7 comments:

Natasha said...

I posted about our pantry challenge today. We are doing it for a different reasons, but yours definitely caught my eye.

Amanda said...

Nice one. I've heard of ward/stakes doing this. Good luck! I can't wait to see/hear what you eat!

Suzanne said...

I can't wait to hear what creative recipes you come up with during this week.

Jordan said...

You've inspired me to take the challenge.

Liz said...

Wow! Glad you had some dried bananas on hand. That would be tough for us to do, since we mostly have wheat and beans! Another good reason to get more prepared! Good luck this week!

jenny said...

I think I would be a bit scared at that challenge. I am totally not prepared. What a great thing to do!

Suzanne said...

Chanel, will you please post your menus? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious and I promise not to laugh. I know one has to get rather creative when eating out of storage. Please???? Thank you!!

 
Blog tracker