Friday, January 25, 2008

I'm remodeling!!!!


It's not that I don't like where I live, I just see that there are areas that can be improved and I am commited to making those improvements. I love the idea of remodeling a house. You keep what you like, and tear out what you don't like so you can replace it with what you want in that space.

My friend Kristi has encouraged everyone to choose a word for the year that represents your goals. My word is for 2008 is "remodel"- because I am taking out what I don't like and replacing it with what I really want.

The older my girls get it's more evident how much my habits (good and bad) influence their actions. I want to be a better role model and example for them. I think overall I am a pretty good example but there are definite areas where "do as I say, not as I do " apply.

So 2008 is my year to re-model!

Here's my blueprint of what I am tearing out and upgrading:

The kitchen cupboards- I ate way too many treats and as a result our cupboards were full of sugar and my kids were full of sugar. January 1st I stopped eating simple sugar....moment of silence...
yes, this is a huge deal for me. I can't believe how much of a change this has already had on my kids in only 25 days. Because they see me eating healthy snacks and lots of fresh fruit they want to eat them too. I have not imposed this no sugar rule on the girls or Eric, but I have cleaned out the cupboards of junk and replaced them with healthier snacks.

Framing- I will have better posture. I will do Yoga more often and encourage the girls to do it with me.

Re-roofing- I have reworked our budget and completely changed the way I spend money. I have done away with the debit card and gone to all cash. When it's gone it's gone- ouch this one hurts!

Landscaping- My sister sent me It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh. This book completely changed the way I think about things and stuff. I have been meticulasly going through our house purging all the unnecessary stuff that accumulates and creating better systems to help the girls be better organized.

Foundation- Last but not least, I have changed the way I teach my kids. I am trying to teach them more of the why and less of the what. I can tell them what to do and they will do it to please me, but when they truley understand why something is important hopefully do it because they want to.

So if I follow my plan, by the end of 2008 I will be a super- model for my girls!

6 comments:

Tasha said...

That sounds like a great plan! I got the Peter Walsh book and I think its great. I've been going around with the 2 garbage bags a day and its great! We are doing more whole foods and less processed anything.

Jill said...

This sounds excellent. You've really thought this through and are actually doing it. Wow!

Suzanne said...

As always, Chanel, I learn so much about how to parent from you! I appreciate how creatively and articulately you laid out your blueprint for 2008.

Liz said...

Sounds like a great plan Chanel. I'd like to hear more about the organizational stuff, especially with the girls stuff. My girls want to save EVERY single little scrap of paper. I throw it away whenever I can, but I need some help! Please post your ideas that work! Thanks! And good luck with the remodel!

Amanda said...

Love the way you presented this! You are really just using cash? I am impressed. Great job!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Blog tracker