Monday, January 15, 2007

Do you know what this is???


It is an orange tree...frozen. You know trees that grow in warm climates because they do not do well in cold ones. It has been getting below freezing here in beautiful sunny southern California. Oranges cannot go below freezing or it does bad stuff to them so the growers spray the trees with water and have sprinklers going all night to freeze the trees (so they do not go below freezing). It seriously looks like Frozone has visited the orange groves all around our house.




It has been soo cold. I swear that our houses and heaters are not built with this kind of weather in mind. Saturday we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house to roast marshmallows in front of the fire. The fire felt so good. It was the 1st time I had felt warm all day.

Also I wanted to thank Jenny and Rebecca for some good mail that I received. Jenny sent me one of her cute clip boards along with a ton of other goodies (I should have taken a photo before everything was taken by little hands) for myself and for my girls. One of the things she sent was a little journal that I have been taking to church to take notes (thanks to Jill's good idea).

Rebecca sent me the cutest thank you for helping her with her operation B-1000. So creative I feel like I need to send you a thank you for your thank you.

Eric is working the night shift this week so he will be home all day. I am excited to have him around. Now if our weather would just go back to normal...the novelty is gone.

9 comments:

Tasha said...

Those pictures are amazing! I had no idea they did that to orange trees!

I love your new banner! Did you get the latest Hancocks of Padukah catalog? It has the most amazing fabric in it, as well as Amy Butler's new line, which I LOVE.

Allison said...

That is amazing! I hope you and your family are able to do some fun things while Eric is home.

It was nice chatting with you the other day.

Jill said...

Those pictures are mighty cool. It's kind of frightening that this wacky weather is happening though eh?

Score on the good mail! Doesn't documenting it just make you feel good? I loved Rebecca's note, so sweet.

jenny said...

From a distance it almost looks like cobwebs on the trees. How sad, does that mean no oranges this year from sunny ca? We grew up with 16 orange trees in our yard I don't think I ever recall them looking like that.


I am wishing we had a fireplace right about now. We are FREEZING.

I am glad you were able to use your clipboard for something. I mainly did it so you couldn't swear at me anymore about it. Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was poking fun at our weather men in my post today. Now I feel a little guilty.

At least you can snuggle up with your hubby to keep warm all week.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beauitful, but then I always end up feeling bad for the oranges (o.k, the orange farmers!). What crazy, crazy weather. I think we are getting all the warm Cali weather here in Virginia. It was 70 degrees here today! Weird. I love that Eric was late because of the snowball fight. Definitley worth it!

I agree about Rebecca's thank you! I feel like I need to send her a thank-you for the thank-you, too!

I love your new blog banner!!! Looks terrific!

Jordan said...

I hope the good mail made up for the frozen fruit! THe weather is ALL mixed up! It was 28 degrees the other morning in Phoenix AZ!!! We are definitely moving! We can't win in the summer and now our winters are shot, too?

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that they froze them so they wouldn't...freeze. Those pictures are awesome! That 3rd one is great - I never would have guessed, without your description, what it was! Have they resally lost most of the crop this year?
We are finally having some "real" snow up here- our 2nd day of no school!

melanie said...

Your pictures are amazing! I love the last one of the orange and ice. That is so interesting about freezing them. Frozone indeed!

Love the clipboard, very cute idea!

 
Blog tracker