Friday, January 19, 2007


The road to California

Yesterday was the 1st day of the Road to California quilt show. It is the largest quilt show in Southern California. I have wanted to go every year, but have not been able to.

Yesterday Lucy had preschool so all three girls were in school! I decided that I was going to go. Eric said that he would go with me...WHAT? I thought he was kidding, but no, he said that he would go just to spend time with me ( I realize he has ulterior motives with this, but I didn't care). Husband of the year award anyway.

He will never admit it but I actually think he had a great time. The best was when we were paying to get in, he said to the lady “Do I have to pay for myself, I don’t even want to be here.” Everyone cracked up laughing and a guy behind us in line said “I was thinking the same thing- I just did not want to say it out loud”. All the old ladies (I looked like an embryo in that room) loved him.

We saw some amazing quilts. Here are a few photos of some I thought were cool:

This was made up of thousands of blocks that were all 1/2 inch. Holy cow!

This was called The chaos of the 12 days of Christmas, it was very funny.


I love Halloween. There were only two Halloween quilts, this was my favorite.


I want this quilt! I don't want to make it, I just want it.


This quilt was called "My Garden". Love it! Again, this is only a top section of the quilt.



Love it!

There were several quilts made from children's drawings about hurricane Katrina, so sad.

There was a booth with African embroidery kits. I love the way they look. I have embroidered some art work from my girls on white, but after seeing these I can't wait to embroider one of their pictures on black. I love the look of it. You can check out or purchase their kits here.

8 comments:

Jordan said...

Inspiring, to say the least. So, um, what were Eric's ulterior motives?

jenny said...

I am drooling over that photo quilt. That is way cool. And the Halloween quilt puts mine to shame. I wish I was there to tag with you. The question is did you buy anything? And yes, Eric gets the husband of the day award! Good for him...did you manage to stop for lunch and get a grill cheese with onion sandwich. I think that would have been the icing on the cake.

Tasha said...

Oh Chanel, I want that quilt too, and I also DON't want to make it!

So glad Eric went with you!

Jill said...

Those quilts are so amazing. I can't imagine having the patience (or skills really) to ever make things like that.

It's very cute that Eric went with you, no matter what his motives were.

Liz said...

Gorgeous quilts! I love the one of the two girls made with the 1/2 inch blocks. I saw a quilt once at a show in CA, that you had to view with one of those little eye thingies (didn't Eric make you one with a door peeper?), anyway, it was soooo cool! What a fun outing!

everything pink! said...

thanks for taking the time to share the photos with us. so great.

the one that you want, that is the best most incredible quilt. i love the triangle border!!

melanie said...

These are gorgeous! I'm getting in line for the quilt you want. Amazing is all I can say. I love the yellow star one too.

Shawna B. said...

Chanel - those quilts are pure joy. Thanks for letting us peek in on what looks like an amazing show! I also want that quilt - and probably COULDN'T make it - so my only option would be buying, but OOOPS - I don't have any money! :) Glad you and Eric had such a fun day. His comment reminds me of something Tyler would say!

 
Blog tracker