Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

Ruby has complained about her molars coming in for the past several days and I have been giving her Motrin, but today she busted out a 102 fever and her cheeks blew out like a chipmunk. After talking to Eric on the phone and looking at her mouth, it looked like she had an abscess. Since it was now 4pm on Christmas Eve I was frantically trying to page the emergency Dentist on call. He never called back so Eric came home to look at her mouth himself and he ended up calling in a prescription.

This was Ruby earlier in the day when she was still smiling.

We drove around and delivered the baby Jesus for the two families we were doing the 12 days of Christmas for (one piece of a 12 piece nativity each night) and then drove to the hospital to pick up the prescription. Ruby had never had a prescription filled at the hospital it ended up taking a long time. It was dark and I sat with my three girls out in front of the hospital watching all the people inside the lighted up windows and thinking about how hard it would be to spend Christmas in the hospital or have a loved one in the hospital. I was also a little worried that I was going to be back there in the ER later that night with Ruby because she was so lethargic.

When I was a kid Christmas Eve was almost as big (sometimes bigger) then Christmas day. My Mom and dad threw a huge party ever Christmas Eve and served my Mom's famous soup and a dining room table covered in desserts. We would get all dressed up, and everyone came, it was quite the ta do. Someday if live in a house that can accommodate a party like that I hope to carry on the tradition.

My Mom still made her famous soup but instead of a house full of people raving and secretly trying to figure out her recipe, she made it for our little family and only Eric and I ate it. My kids don't like it, yet, but they will need to soon if they want to stay in our family.

After dinner the girls each opened their one gift, which is always new pajamas and we read the story of Christ's birth. Ruby and Lucy went to bed early and the rest of us watched the Christmas miracle of Jonathan Toomey. It was a great movie and the perfect way to end the night.

I loved the note that Haley left for Santa.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Poor Ruby! I hope the Rx fixed the swollen cheeks. Fess up...What kind of soup does your mom make? If it is anything like your family's tradition of dead rats in butter, it has to be great! Merry Christmas!

jenny said...

That makes me so sad that you guys had to spend Christmas Eve filling prescriptions. Her little cheeks WERE so puffy. I hope the medication is making her feel better.

Love the note from Haley. Too cute.

Jordan said...

Poor Ruby--life just throws you punches right and left--even at Christmas. Loved the SAnta note.

Lynette said...

I'm a friend of a friend of Stephanie's....I hope you don't mind that I read your blog. You are SO talented and such a great mom with a great sense of humor. I'll definitely check back! I'm just new to the blogging world. I think it'll be fun

 
Blog tracker