Thursday, December 13, 2007

Little Drummer Boy

My favorite Christmas song has always been Little Drummer Boy. I think this is because I loved singing it as a kid trying to get my ba rum pum pum pums to sound like a drum.

I was driving in the car with Lucy singing away to Little Drummer boy when she said "Mom, this is a bad song...they say bum bum a lot. That's not nice to sing about bum bums". I explained that they were not saying bum bum but trying to sound like a drum.

Later in the day the song came on again (by a different artist). Lucy really loud said "Mom, this song is bad!".  At this point I calmly said "Lucy this song is about a little boy that is so excited about Christ's birth. He wants to take the new baby Jesus a wonderful gift but he doesn't have any money so he decides to play his drum as beautifully as he can as a gift." I explained again that it is not saying bum bum, it says ba rum pum pum pum to sound like a drum. Then I explained that this is my favorite Christmas song and it will make me sad if every time it comes on she thinks it's bad. I thought she understood.

The next time the song came on Lucy said "Mom, I know you like this bad song...so I wont say anything"

4 comments:

Shar said...

That's really funny. Kids say the funniest things. Especially your kids.

The little Christmas trees from primary turned out great. My mom brought those out here when she came to visit and tried to rope me into helping her paint them, but I'm not easily fooled. They are really cute.

Liz said...

Hilarious! Love this story!

jenny said...

We all know you like listening to bum bum songs :)

patsy said...

I am laughing out loud- that is so funny!

 
Blog tracker