Friday, July 25, 2008

LA field trip

A couple of month ago my Sister and her Husband went to Brazil and brought me back this beautiful blue topaz.  I wanted to get it set in a ring but everything I found was super expensive. Yesterday my Mom and Sister were in town and we decided to go to the LA jewelry district (with my 3 kids in tow).  I told my girls on the drive out that there was going to be a lot of walking but I would give them each $5 to buy whatever they wanted.  Ha Ha.  When I was a kid they had lots of sterling rings for kids and inexpensive earrings, now it all just hard core jewelry.


We went in several shops and looked at tons of ring settings. My Sister was looking for settings for several stones she brought back from Brazil and ended up only finding one.  I had looked at a ton, but given up on finding something in my price range.  

When my Mom and Sister left for the airport and the girls and I started walking towards the parking garage it started:

"This place is the worst... You said we could buy something... We didn't get anything... why did you bring us." A choir of disgruntled children.

Ruby asked if we could go in one last shop and I agreed. There was a setting I liked and after talking him down for a while it was in my price range. I told him if he could have it sized and set in 15 min I would take it. He said "No problem".  He sent me up to his jewelry maker to have it sized right away.  The jeweler was super nice and obviously liked kids because they were talking a mile a minute and asking a ton of questions and he did not mind at all. 


At one point Lucy said "I wish we were all bald because them we wouldn't get dust in our hair and we wouldn't need to wash it".   Later Ruby said "Why is it so dirty in here and what is that bad smell" then she processed to plug her nose. Of course I wanted to die.

I kept looking at my watch because it was taking way more then 15 min and I had to be home by 6:30 for a work dinner with Eric. As soon as he finished my ring he said "Come with me" and took us down the hall. He started into the most interesting lesson for my girls about how jewelry is made. I was torn because it was getting late and I knew traffic was going to be bad... but the girls were LOVING it.




Heck I was loving it. It was really interesting and I couldn't believe what a great teacher he was for children.  During our lesson he received a call from someone and in a very angry voice he yelled "It will be done when it's done" and hung up the phone.  Then he went back to our lesson in a nice voice.
 
He ended up cutting out wax rings for Lucy and Ruby and a pendant for Haley.  They were on cloud nine when we left saying "that was SOOO cool... can we get a hotel out here and come back tomorrow... I can't believe he let us keep these awesome rings".  

I was thrilled for the presentation and happy girls, but I was sweating and my heart was racing because it was 5:oo and I knew I would never make it home by 6:30.  I ended up getting on the freeway in the wrong direction and did not realize it until I saw signs for Watts.  I turned around and got back on it in the right direction knowing that Eric was going to be bugged that I left so late and missed the dinner.

I have never driven back from LA without traffic, never.  Somehow through divine intervention I flew home during rush hour traffic without a stitch of traffic! I walked in the door at 6:20 (5 min before Eric) and we made it to the dinner!  Maybe my new ring has magical powers!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's beautiful!!!!!!!

Mrs. McDaniel said...

Beautiful! What a great story!

Jill said...

What a cool experience for all of you. The ring turned out beautifully, and really must be magical if you made it home on time!

Suzanne said...

I once wore a magic ring that saved me from a parking ticket at a meter in Santa Monica. I treasure jewelry that has special powers. Hope it continues to be an amulet for you.

Liz said...

Wow! Fun story and beautiful ring!

Tasha said...

Its beautiful! Just imagine, if you could market a ring that would make people all powerful over LA traffic, Eric could quit medicine and build boats for fun!

 
Blog tracker