Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Going to the river

We had been invited to a local pool with some friends because it was scorching hot. As we walked up to the entrance at the pool, they put out a sign to close the pool because it had reached it's capacity. Luckily my friend knew about a cool place to go on the Rogue river not far away. It felt like we were on an excursion off a cruise ship. I kept thinking "I really live here?".


We were at a calm area of the river, but some rapids were just on the other side of the rocks. So the kids would swim to the top of the calm water and jump into the rapids for about 100 Ft then they would be pushed back into the calm section. It was perfect because I didn't need to worry about them getting swept down river and disappearing. 

There was a rope hanging from under the bridge.  Lucy was the only one of my girls that tried the swing, I was so impressed.  I have a feeling we will be coming back to this spot often. 

I think when I was getting my drivers license and registering to vote, they should also require all Oregonians to purchase water shoes. We were completely unprepared. Flip flops and crocks don't work well on the river.

Technically not a river, but we still refer to it as such, my kids love playing in emigrant creek at Lithia park.  It's not far from our house and they love walking up the rocks... and "accidentally" falling in the water with their clothes on.  
 

*Note to self- Must buy water shoes!

4 comments:

Greg said...

That is so cool to have places with running water so close by. It is great for swimming and fishing. It is just amazing what new adventures those tender young feet have had. Slivers, abrasions from rocks, stepping on moss and do not forget the slime and algae. What more could a young pair of feet want?

Shonda said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is so incredibly beautiful! I'm so happy for you guys!

Hawley said...

I have water shoes!

Chanel Palmer said...

Then you need to come to the river with us Hawley!!!

 
Blog tracker