Saturday, February 10, 2007

Ruby's party under the sea


Ok, so we were not really under the sea... we were in the garage, but it looked pretty cool. We have always had a hard time with Ruby's party because it's in February. Our house is really too small for a party and it's too cold to have it at the pool so It's always a dilemma. Last year we talked her into taking a friend to Disneyland (We had passes and the friend had a pass). That worked out great, but this year she wanted a party at home. Eric and I decided the only way was to convert the garage into a party room.

I purchased a bunch of table clothes at the $ store. I borrowed a friends helum tank and a table and chairs from the Nursery. Eric taped the table clothes together and made all the walls then I cut green table clothes to make the sea weed. We had a bunch of plastic fish from an old party so I hung those around the walls. We had music from The little Mermaid playing. I know the girls loved the room because they all wanted to be out there.



In order to go into the Mermaid Lagoon you had to be a mermaid, so as the girls arrived they each received a bag with:

skirt- I bought the fabric downtown for $1 yard. I decided to leave the backs open on a few of them because we had several differnt body types and I did'nt want someone to not fit into one.

shirt- These were $1.32 from Tscapparel.com. They are a local company so I did not even have to ship them. I embroidered each with a mermaid and the girls name.

A flower clip- A bundle of flowers ($ store) hot glues to metal clips.

Mermaid hair- After they were dressed I sprayed Aqua net hairspray on their hair then sprinkled green glitter all over their hair.

They were all very cute and loved their outfits. All the girls were so good and polite, I think they felt pretty and so they acted accordingly.


The really bad idea.
I thought they would have fun trying to pop a balloon to get the shell necklace inside. As soon as the 1st balloon popped several girls started to freak out that they do not like loud noises and almost started to cry. So Eric ended up quietly cutting open the balloons.

I bought a regular fish pinata and converted it to a pull string pinata so there was no bat/hitting. Each girl had a little purse($ store) for the candy from the pinata.



Ruby felt like the queen of the sea, so It was worth it.

13 comments:

Jordan said...

Absolutely stunning, Chanel. I would have died and gone to heaven attending a party like that at her age. Well done.

Liz said...

Super cute! We had a mermaid party several years ago, but yours is way better!

Anonymous said...

Impressive party Chanel! I too would have loved to attend such an extravaganza at any age. What lucky girls.

Allison said...

You won the fun mom award for the day. Great party! They are lucky girls indeed.

jenny said...

Man, I wish I was there. I am so glad Ruby didn't get sick. Looks like the girls had a blast!

Mom of the year for sure!

Anonymous said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! The garage is amazing! I love everything you did for this party. I think I know what Sadie might be doing for her next birthday!!! :))

Natasha said...

What a fun mom you are! The Mermaid Party looks like it was a hit and I love all your ideas. My Luci is the same age as Ruby and last year we were able to talk her into a trip to Disney World in Orlando (as we were going anyway around her b'day) instead of a party. But this year, no such luck. She wasnted a Cheetah Girls party and nothing less!

melanie said...

This is so CUTE! I love all the thought you put into it, you are a great mom to take it all on. The garage, the skirts, shirts, flowers and bags, Just amazing! What a darling and lucky 6 yr old girl she is!

everything pink! said...

Chanel.. how happy am i that you have a blog!
love everything! the shirts, the bags, the flowers,
oh my just fabulous!

Anna said...

That garage looks awesome! What a fun party idea!

Amy said...

Wow. I LOVE all of your ideas. Amazing party!

michelle said...

Adorable. I love the costumes. They must have been in heaven!

Jill said...

I knew this party was going to be great, but seeing the pictures changes my mental pictures to fantastic! You guys went to so much effort and had so many great ideas, how fun! (Most likely the mothers of the other girls are cursing you for setting the bar so high!)

 
Blog tracker