Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Dear Jane

In January I posted about this quilt that I saw at the Road to California quilt show. I said that I wanted it, but did not want to make it.


I have changed my mind.

I have been reading about Civil War era quilts and discovered that this pattern is from a sampler quilt that Jane A. Stickle made in 1863. There are 225 different patterns for the blocks and triangle border.
Brenda Manges Papadakis took the time to make the patterns for all of the blocks and put together a book with the patterns from the sampler and directions and tips for making them. I realize that it is something that will take me years, but I am really wanting to get started on this quilt.


I think my husband is just waiting for me to shave my head so he can justify checking me into a rehab for obsessive quilters. Hopefully it dosn't come to that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chanel, I am sure you will do an amazing job with your quilt whether it happens slowly over time or on a six week stretch of all nighters while the doc is in DC. :-) I will be so excited to see it.

Tasha said...

I've seen that book. Its amazing! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Jordan said...

You are certainly the girl for the job. Can't wait to watch it happen!

jenny said...

Are you going to use our quilt swap for some of the blocks? I don't doubt you will finish it sooner than later. You are the quilting fene. I too can't wait to see Chanel's take on it!

everything pink! said...

oh my you will have to some civil war touring it will charge you up for sure.
we spent the day on battlefields...

i love it. it is so tempting to me!

Anonymous said...

if there is anyone that will make a quilt like that it is YOU! Both versions are just spectacular!

everything pink! said...

Hippy hop, hippity hop.
Will the Easter Bunny stop?
Will he leave a treat behind,
An Easter basket for me to find?

I'll look over here,
I'll look over there,
I'll look behind things,
I'll look everywhere
I'll look until I find my treat,
And then I'll sit right down and eat.

Happy Easter!

michelle said...

Amazing. Like you said, I want it, but I don't want to make it. I don't need another project that will take me years to complete! (I don't have any projects that involved, just too many on my plate.) I can't wait to see what you make of it.

 
Blog tracker