Monday, November 20, 2006



Dead Rats in Butter!

This is my favorite Thanksgiving dish.
It is basically potatoes cut super thin with the skins left on, a pound of butter then chives and kosher salt on top. Bake it at 400 for an hour. My Mom has made this every year for as long as I can remember. Why do we call it Dead rats in butter? About 15 years ago at a Thanksgiving dinner my Uncle Fred asked my Mom how she got potatoes to taste so good. My Father said “You put this much butter on dead rats and they will taste good”. I just made this for a recipe exchange and when my girls heard what I was making, Haley and Ruby both said “Oh I love dead rats”.

10 comments:

Jordan said...

I'm going to try this, do you use red or baking potatoes? Love the name.

Tasha said...

Looks delicious even if the name makes my allready queasy stomach turn a bit...
Your dad was 100% right, that much butter will make anything taste good!

jenny said...

I was a bit concerned about the title, but it is true anything with that much butter is heavenly. Those look super yum!

Anonymous said...

These Palmer girls will have such tales to tell their college roommates. love the name, will try the recipe too!

Chanel Palmer said...

You use baking potatoes. I hope you like it as much as we do!

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing! I am a butter girl, so these sound like heaven! Thanks for the recipe.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the dead rats!

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, dead rats! Happy Thanksgiving Chanel!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot--I went to the quilt store you told me about. I seriously have driven by it a 100 times and never knew it was there. Heavenly! BTW, they are changing locations, so next time you visit your sister make sure you let me know so I can tell you where they moved!

Jill said...

A pound of butter?! Your dad is right, even a dead rat would taste good with that much buttery goodness melted on top of it.

everything pink! said...

I love memories and traditions like this.

 
Blog tracker