Thursday, November 30, 2006

Today was SEW cool!

I started giving both my girls sewing lessons about a year ago when I got my new machine. This machine lets you adjust the stitch speed so I figured it was a good time to teach them. The funny thing is my 8 year old gets really frustrated while sewing but still wants to do it. My 5 year old (Ruby) sews like she has been doing it all her life. My machine has lot of buttons and does lots of tricks and Ruby knows how to use them like a pro. A few weeks ago Ruby was complaining that Haley takes Piano lessons so she wanted to take sewing lessons from a real teacher, not her Mom. I thought that was a great idea, but after calling everywhere that teaches sewing lessons to children I realized that there was no place that would teach a 5 year old. I tried to explain that she is a really good at it, but everywhere said she had to be at least 8.



So I called a lady in our church that is great with kids and a great sewer and begged her to teach Ruby. She said she would LOVE to do it. Ruby has been in heaven with these lessons. She tells everyone she meets that she is taking sewing lessons. She has sewing home work and can’t wait until her next lesson. Well today was the best day, she finished her first project with Ms. Laurie... a pink floral skirt!


I think you can tell from the photos how proud she is.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Ruby! She officially now sews better than I do! :) How neat to see your girls love something that you enjoy so much. YOur talents are being passed down through the ages!

Great idea with the dolls, too! My boys are anti-dolls in any way, shape, or form, but those are so terrific - a possible idea for my nieces!

Anonymous said...

Chanel - I LOVE this post! So great that Ruby has parents that encourage her interests - talents, and the shot of her in her new skirt is darling. A great story. Thanks!

Jill said...

What a cool thing for Ruby to do! I wish I would have learned to sew while I was a little so that I wouldn't be so frustrated now. You're a good mom for teaching her in the first place and then finding her another teacher when she was ready to go. That's so great!

jenny said...

Okay like I said to you on the phone today---such a cool mom!! That is so great that she loves to do it and you found someone to help her. And how come i never knew you got rid of the Bernina and have a new machine???? I would have had you pull it out in July if I had known!

jenny said...

p.s. love the quilt hanging behind the table!

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha! I found your blog. Very cute skirt.

everything pink! said...

really great!

and you can you believe i have never bound my christmas quilt

 
Blog tracker